Many species have already vanished and will never be seen again. More are threatened by man's activities, needless slaughter and destruction of natural habitats. Zoos are dedicated to the preservation of all endangered species.
This symbol on an exhibit sign in the zoo indicates the species is threatened or endangered.
Primary Reasons Wildlife Becomes Threatened, Endangered, or Extinct:
- Loss of habitat. (deforestation)
- Overexploitation. (when animals are over-killed or over-used)
- Introduction of exotic species. (both animals and plants)
- Pollution and poisons. (plastic bags, bottles, pesticides, etc.)
- Diseases affecting wild populations.
- Limited distribution. (populations confined to a few small areas with specific requirements)
Some of the Threatened or Endangered Species at the Alexandria Zoo include: