Frequently Asked Questions

  • WHAT'S THE BEST TRAIL WHEN ENTERING THE ZOO?
    It's better to begin with the path leading through the Mayan Temple entrance of the Land of the Jaguar near the train track, and remember to always enter the Louisiana Habitat at the lighthouse entrance.

  • WHERE CAN I FIND THE...
    Public Restrooms: are located at the (1) Zoo Entrance, (2) in the building behind the Festival Plaza stage, and (3) near the playground.

    Train Depot: is near the entrance, on the South American deck.

    Education Pavilion: is between the Gift Shop/Zoo Office and the train depot.

    Education Buildings A & B: are located on two sides of the Education Pavilion.

    Palm Cafe: is in the Festival Plaza in the center of the Zoo. Seasonal concessions are contracted, operating during the spring, summer, and fall months, and also during special events or high visitor weekends. Scheduling is subject to change.

  • LOST AND FOUND...
    Lost children and articles are taken to zoo office and held until claimed. The Zoo does have an intercom system for locating or calling for individuals. Articles left for extended periods are disposed of.
  • WHY CAN'T THE VISITORS FEED THE ANIMALS?
    Only the fish and waterfowl can be fed food provided in the machines on the decks. All other animals require special diets provided by the zoo and should not be fed other items. Improper food items can cause illness or death. Other items (coins, plastic items, etc.) thrown into the animal enclosures can cause injury, illness or death if eaten by the animals.
  • ARE THE EAGLES WINGS CLIPPED?
    The bald eagles housed in the Louisiana Habitat Exhibit (next to the dogtrot house) came to the Alexandria Zoo on loan from the U.S. Department of the Interior and the LA Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. They were shot or injured in the wild, and their wings have been partially amputated. They will always be flightless or grounded due to these injuries.
  • IS BIG AL THE ALDABRA TORTOISE STILL HERE?
    Big Al (Aldabra tortoise) is still here and now has many companions in the African Experience. There is also an indoor enclosure for them, since they cannot endure cold temperatures. Big Al's estimated age is over 70, but he could live to be over 100 years old.
  • ARE THERE ANY EXISTING CAGES OR BUILDINGS THAT WERE PART OF THE ORIGINAL ALEXANDRIA ZOO AND BRINGHURST PARK DURING THE 1920'S AND 1930'S?
    The black-necked swan pool (originally a fish pool) made of small rocks located near the chilean flamingo exhibit is the only remaining animal exhibit. The fountain is not original.

    The Louisiana Habitat Exhibit is built in an area where City Park Blvd. and the infamous "Rock Garden" were. The Zoo salvaged rocks from the garden and have used them in different areas throughout the Zoo.

    The "star pond" next to the snake exhibit in Louisiana Habitat were built during the WPA era in the 1930's.

  • DO THE ZOOKEEPERS GO IN THE CAGES/EXHIBITS WITH THE ANIMALS?
    The zoo animals are not tame although some may be manageable. The keepers do not go into the enclosures with any of the large cats, bears or most monkeys. However, it is necessary to enter some enclosures in order to properly care for the animals and disinfect areas. Caution is always used when entering any animal's territory. Dangerous animals are shifted to a separate part of the enclosure when keepers enter an area to clean or feed.
  • IS THE ALEXANDRIA ZOO ACCREDITED AND WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
    The Zoo is accredited, first in 1986, then 1991, 1996, 2001, 2008 and again in 2013. Accreditation means that the facility, personnel, and administration meet or exceed the standards for a professional zoological institution as set by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA). The Alexandria Zoo is one of only approximately 200 zoos in North America accredited by the AZA.
  • WHAT IS AZA?
    The Association of Zoos and Aquariums is the world's largest professional organization representing zoological parks, aquariums, wildlife parks, and their staff members. It was founded in 1924 and its offices are located in Silver Spring, Maryland.