Lower Yangtze River, China
Marshes, ponds, rivers, and streams
Wild - Snails, mussels, frogs, and fish
Zoo - Fish, meat, and chicken
- Similar to American Alligator but is smaller, being only 5-6 feet in length.
- Main differences between the Chinese and American Alligator other than size: the Chinese Alligator has a shorter snout and a bony plate in the eyelid.
- Hibernate for 6-7 months in burrows
- The ventral scales of the Chinese Alligator have large bony plates making them nearly worthless for the skin trade.
- They prefer mollusks to other prey.
10 to 50 eggs are laid in a clutch. The young are black and yellow like the American's but have fewer cross bands.
ENDANGERED due to habitat loss and from farmers killing them.
Crocodilian Species, A. Britton (Internet)
Chinese Alligator, Utah's Hogle Zoo (Internet)